Note: This IMPORTANT RESOURCE is CONTINIOUSLY UPDATED. It will be expanded
with content and links to various articles, websites, or documents to help with planning or procedures.to assist
those interested in EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS
in Trinity County
One of the main reasons for maintaining this section of the website is to provide links to information that may be PRINTED TO A HARD COPY FOR REFERENCE WHEN there is no telephone/internet acess to this data base.
IF YOU ARE INVOLVED WITH TRINITY COUNTY EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS PLANNING AND WOULD FIND A CD OF THE TCARC/TCARES WEBSITE HELPFULL CONTACT THE WEBMASTER
Trinity County Public Safety Information Page- Great Emergency information resource!
This Document is Continiously Updated
EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS INFORMATION
Authored & Maintained by Greg Greenwood, WB6FZH
BE SURE TO VISIT THE Trinity County ARES Website!- Important Information!
- EMERGENCY COMMUNICATION RESOURCES
- VHF/UHF Repeater Systems
- Trinity County Government Systems- TCSO, FIRE, ROAD, GEN.SVC., etc
- State Government Systems- F&G, FIRE, CHP, etc.
- Neighbor County Systems- Monitor frequencies for liason
- Federal Government Systems- USFS, BLM, FBI, Homeland Security,etc.
- Business Band Repeater Systems- (VHF-UHF)Pre-planned emergency use to reduce channel loading during emergencies
- MEDCOM System (UHF channels)- Hospital-Chopper-Ambulance-Fixed Wing
- Amateur Radio (VHF-UHF) (General)- Ham Radio Repeaters
- Amateur Radio (Special ARES, etc)- For Disaster use/Special Purpose
- Amateur Radio (MARS- Army, Navy, Air Force,etc)-
- Back-up Plan for Repeater Failure (USE Simplex OUTPUT frequency use- unless otherwise directed)
- Portable Repeater Packages (no PL, pre-planned, programable if possible- Asset maintained, regularly tested.
- "Parrot" Repeater Simplex Links- To be considered for Ham, BUS, IND, MURS, FRS,etc (use AUDIO source)
- Cross Channel Operations-(remote base, scanner w/existing radio) Pre-programmed Scanner with antenna for specific use and planning.
- Cellular Telephone and other Radio-Telephone Systems are expected to fail due to overload, being turned off, loss of power, or weather damage for purposes of "worst case planning". Naturally, they will be used as availiable.(utilize local HT function if availiable (reminder digital/analog incompatibilities)
- Microwave Links- In case of major earthquake, often systems become mis-aligned.
- GMRS - FRS Repeater & Simplex Radio - Community Radio Plans, NO TONE CODES on some channels
- Monitoring of Broadcast Media- AM/FM/TV (on-air),TV cable, TV Satellite.
- Cable TV- Pre Plan 2 WAY CCTV and eventual distribution to atleast AUDIO Via Radio to Hayfork, Lewiston, Weaverville, and any other group that wants technology to interface. Possilbly preprepared video tape for instructions
to communities and direction to TV, RADIO, CB Channel, Scanner Freq.LIST, Ham Radio, etc.
- Simplex HF Radio Networks- Subject to Propagation (day/night/solar conditions)
- ARES-RACES- Daytime Monitor/Traffic Frequencies [Local and Out-of-Area]
- ARES-RACES- Nightime Monitor/Traffic Frequencies [Local and Out-of-Area]
- Military/FEMA communications interface [ MARS, SHARES,FEMA, etc]
- Amateur Radio Traffic Networks- Groups/Clubs/Informal/Formal- Local HF (160, 80, 40, etc)
- Amateur Radio Traffic Networks (NTS)- Emergency (Pre Planned)(160, 80, 40, etc)
- Pre-Planned Locations & Operating Locations- Antenna, Power, Location pre-planned (Vol.Fire Stns, TCGovt Bldgs,
Shelters, Churches, Mobile Van/Traileretc)
- Trinity County HEALTHCOMM Network Interface (back-up to VHF, UHF, HF)
For Hospitals, Clinics, Triage Areas, etc.(hopefully Hunboldt & Shasta packet Network in Place)
- Note- Antennas and power sources are pre-positioned/planned if possible. Dedicated emergency AC source assignment,etc.also plan if location needs to be abandoned for portable operation.
- Simplex VHF, UHF, HF Radio Networks [Includes Repeater Interface Systems]
- SIMPLEX OPERATIONS NOTES
- Digital HF/VHF/UHF/Satellite Communications
- VHF/HF DIGITAL MODES- PSK31, MT-63, Pactor, AMTOR, etc.
- FOR TEXT INFORMATION- ( 1200 packet is like 100wpm typing speedwise)
- Establish proper FORMAT and modified formats.
- ARRL messages & MARS, FEMA, OES, etc
- Training for message handling and SITUATION REPORTS, as format evolves.
- Incident Command Systems- Information Forms
- Standardize Software when possible, and make notes for sound card and
serial interfaces for Display Frequency VS Actual Frequency for Modes..(Maintain CDs with programs and information like this website on the CD for field use.
- NOTE- Packet File Send requires SELECTION OF PROGRAM CHANGES
to Transparent and 8BIT DATA,etc. PROCOMM is simple DOS program good for DATA file sending.
- Software on CD for Windows to be developed/copied with reference information on CD for other TCARES info. MAPS, CHARTS, LISTS,etc..
- IMPORTANT REMINDER- Printers are very necessary to take advantage of this data. adopt PRINT TO DISK format of somekind for CD/floppy to print at remote location, or from file data itself. Mobile Printers (12dc or some witll work with
inverters) BOXES. PAPER stored in plastic bags to avoid dampness, SPARE INK and or CARTRIDGES.
- SSTV(Slow Scan TV) - FOR PICTURE FILES
Serial and Audio Sound Card Interface Units-
- Establish default Mode- Robot 36?
- File Formats- JPG, GIF, (File Size)
- Software Compaiblity (MODES)
- First Demo Test 9/99- WB6FZH - Serial EZSSTV One-Way
- Develop Standard file transfer to computer for transmission, and display
Digital Camera to W/98 or newer download USB to media (CD) that can go to floppy or CD for computer that is interfaced to SSTV unit. If possible have compatible computer for both.
MESSAGE SOURCES & FORMS
- STANDARD ARRL Message Forms (provide to TC OES w/ instructions)
- ARES Message Format- Computer and Hard Copy
- VIP Message Format- Computer and Hard Copy
- RED CROSS Message Format- Computer and Hard Copy
- MARS, FEMA, SHARES- "SITREP"" and other STD REPORTS for VOICE or DATA
- INCIDENT COMMAND SYSTEM FORMS- STD
- CONVERSION TO COMMON DOCUMENT FILES.
- TC- MEDNET Message Format- Computer and Hard Copy- Trinity Hospital Pre Plan or Life Saftety Ambulance,etc.
- HEALTHCOMM Message Format- Computer and Hard Copy
- TC data/LAN network interface Message Format- Computer and HC
- 9600 Baud Packet- INFO related to TCIP, etc (Radio to Internet/LAN)
- SSTV- PC Based transmission of Video/Digital Photo- Standard
- PSK 31- PC Based transmission of Information
- FAX or other DATA standard
- 1200 baud packet- APRS VHF
- 300 baud packe- HF
- WEFAX for direct Satellite Picture Reception- 136 mhz
- NOTE- PENS, PENCILS, PAPER, NOTEBOOKS, ARRL FORMS, stored in plastic bags for use.
- Laptops with power source are important to have availiable. Older inexpensive machines are often useful for some of these tasks.
FM Voice- Fixed, Mobile, Portable Simplex 2mtr & 70 cm
- EQUIPMENT PRE-POSITIONED, STORED IN TRANSIT BOXES (Radios, Accessories, Antenna Support/cables, and antennas.
- USE OF Standard Phonetics- MILITARY, AIRCRAFT, HAM, LAW(Use common standard MIL-ARRL)
- ARES "GO-KIT"- 72HR DEPLOYMENT KIT- INFORMATION
- WEATHER CONDITION REPORTS- (SKYWARN)- NWS
- Incident Reporting- Home and Mobile casual information - NOAA Weather Radios
- TC HEALTHCOM- Medical Resources- Status/Supplies
- Area Simplex 2 meter Channels (MAP display of Trinity County)
- Area CB/FRS Channels (Corresponding MAP sectors to 2 meters)
- Search & Rescue Coordination/Liason- Monitor w/TX capability to VHF
- Red Cross/FEMA/VIP/USFS/TCSO "shadow communicators"
- VIP- CDF Fire Program- Activity
- Repeater Coverage Maps- Power/Antenna ERP
- CROSS BAND OPERATION- General
- Program NWS 162.55 and 162.40 in radios that will accept them
- AM Broadcast Band INFORMATIONAL BROADCAST STATIONS- Trinity
- CALTRANS- 1630kc Weather and Delay Information (Weaverville CALTRANS Yard)
- USFS- 530- River and Trinity National Forest INFO (Weaverville Station)
DRILLS, SIMULATIONS, FIELD TESTS, DEMONSTRATIONS (PR)
- Annual S.E.T. (State of California/county of trinity/ARRL)- 2001 S.E.T.
- FIELD PACKET TEST & CLINIC- Junction City Campground
- Douglas City School Pre-Plan and Drill
MOBILE EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS UNIT- Radio & Telephone
- Red Cross Disaster Preparedness Fair, Weaverville 2002- ECU Public Display-
- PHOTO PAGE from EMCOMM 2002- Regional Convention
- TC ARES Equipment Tested at JOTA 2002- Worldwide Boy Scout Event
- Annual ARES Group Simulations (Trinity)
- Participation in Shasta, Humboldt, Mendocino, Siskiyou, Drills or atleast have FREQ Info.
- WB6FZH-1 PACKET MAILBOX 24/7 145.050- ARES INFO & GENERAL USE
- Field Day Participation for Drill and Public Relations
- Field Day and other Public Events
- Bicycle Races, Horseback events,etc to show flexibility.. APRS eventually.. interface with FRS/CB,etc
- Special Operating Events or Public Demonstrations- Field Day- ARRL/ARES/etc. This is an annual event, runs 24hrs, set up power, antennas, stations, housing, planning, etc. This can be in the Forest, Suburbs, Big City, Rural Area,etc. to simulate operating in an emergency.
- Verification of VHF/UHF Coverage- Simplex & Repeater (MAPING and LISTS)
- Review of TCARC/ARES "Emergency Communications Plan" - Working Document
- Inspection of ARES 72 Hour "Deployment Kit" and Luncheon- Award for Best,etc.
- Establishment of TC EMCOMM working group
- Cooperative Planning with neighbor county ARES, RACES, etc.
- Review of "Interface Plan" with Red Cross, Salvation Army (SATERN),
Military Amateur Radio Service (MARS), OES, EMCOMM, ARES, RACES, etc.
- Eventual indirect Coordination with County of Trinity via relationships with other disaster agencies, State and Federal Government and Mutual Aid Groups.
- Direct Planning with TC OES 2004?
MONITORING- INTERCOMMUNICATIONS with TRINITY COUNTY RADIO USERS
PUBLIC SAFETY & BROADCAST FREQUENCIES
- WEBSITE LISTING OF Public Safety Frequency Information
- Scanners/VHF Radio pre-programming [standard channel/freq] Greg's Top Twenty Plus Scanner Frequencies
- Cross Band Operation [pre-planned/tactical callsign/ID] (remember PL/tone codes)
- AM/FM/TV/NOAA Weather Broadcast Stations
- NOTE- There are digital tone assignments for TRINITY COUNTY by NOAA for broadcast to the majority of populated areas. Ordered from Sacramento NWS, transmitted from Shasta County some reception in Weaverville, DC Hayfork. Other transmissions authorized from Eureka NWS- possibly monitored in So Trinity, and Western Trinity.
- EMERGENCY BROADCASTS BY COUNTY Office of Emergency Services TO CITIZENS ON VHF REPEATER SYSTEM- It would be great service to citizens during emergencies to at 05 and 35 after the hour, for TC to make short broadcast (that could be relayed) with facts about Emergency Fire, Flood, Snow, Highway Outage,etc. through the VHF Repeater System. Amateur Radio Could update similar broadcast at 20 after and 20 before the hour on their Ham Radio Repeaters that are solar powered.
Business Band Radio in Emergency
- Pre-Planned resource documentation- for programable radios
- Coordination of Special Equipment- Packet, phone patch, paging, etc.
- Monitoring- Data Collection 1-way broadcast (specific time windows- 5 minutes before to past hour,etc.)
- OES- Trinity coordination
- OES- Statewide coordination
- PL and DIGITAL modes will be a barrier (disable function,etc)
Cellular Telephone Applications- Includes applicable hard-wire issues
- Documentation of Areas Covered
- Cell Site Maps
- Extended Battery/Charging resources
- Documentation of "Loaner Resources"
- Digital and Analog differences
- Safety Radios- Abused Spouse, Seniors, Victims, etc.(Coord TCSO, Hospital)
- Auxilary Antennas- Portable, Mobile and Fixed
- 911 reporting realities- New System of Mapping and New Address interfacing.
- 911- GPS- Computer Aided Dispatch- information status; equipment compatibility,etc.
- Note- Cellular Telephone Systems often become overloaded, restricted and fail during emergencie, or have limited battery/solar power.
Citizen's Band Radio
- CB and the Community Radio Plan
- AM Mode is Standard (SSB Radio Operates AM)
- REACT- Is nolonger a viable istitution in CA (not reg w/CA SecState,etc)
- REACT- Organization in CA is DEFUNCT (as is in many other areas/states)
- TCSO confirms NO local REACT ...(website is on intenet, no email,etc.)
- TC REACT type activity to be integrated into ARES,etc. in Trinity County- Promote Formation
- Area CB/FRS Channel Monitoring (Matches boundaries of 2 meter Plan)
- Traditional CB Channels- In Trinity & National Forests (9 emergency, 19 Trucker, etc.)
- Portable and Fixed Stations (equipment ready to deploy for non-licensed use)
- Mobile- Mobiles with CB & Government or Ham Radios
- Hand-Held Units, with 12VDC options, Alkaline Batteries
- Cross-band relay if required
- CB, MURS, FRS similarities (Use of 49mhz Radio Shack communicators,etc)
- 23 Channel VS 40 Channel... perhaps utilize lower 23 the most..(cheap loaners)
- Consider CB channel recommendations with local Community Radio Plan..
Family Radio Service(FRS), UHF GMRS Systems
- FRS and the Trinity Community Radio Plan
- No useful Standard established- Community Radio Plan in progress should help..
- FRS Equipment- Channel Similarities between Manufacturers (NOT UNIVERSAL)
- GMRS Resources/FRS to GMRS contact
- GMRS to Amateur and Public Safety Communications
- Use of CH 10 emergency functions, NO tone monitor,etc.
- Used by public service groups and individuals (try to coordinate, suggested operating hints, )
- Transient Use, POST SIGN at entrance to forest, towns, on this website
IF MONITORED Freq/Channel was established. (Even at "X" min. after hour)
- TCARC should own pair of most common type, with spare alkaline bats,etc.
MURS- "VHF CB" - High Band 150mhz 2 watt plus
- See Community Radio Plan
- MURS INFO
- 2 watt VHF FM radio
- External non-gain antenna allowed
- packet (non store&forward OK)
- data and Voice
- Sold by Radio Shack (typically $125-175 depending on accessories)
- Typical Frequencies- 154.57, 154.60, 151.94, 151.82, 151.88
- FCC restrictions apply, under Part 95,etc.
Aircraft Communications- Gen.Aviation/Medical/Fire/Other
- Monitor of UNICOM & other AM VHF Aircraft Frequencies
- Ground to Air portable Available w/Freq. Pre-Planned
channels (older useable pull-out from aircraft?)
- FM programable Aircraft [fixed & helicopters]- Logging/Other
- MEDNET- Area Channels monitored- Hospital to Chopper/Ambulance
- MURS- 154.57, 154.600, 151.880,etc
- CRASH BEACON monitored (automated interface to 2 meter repeater?
- APRS use, interface with STD area MAP
- USCG universal emergency channel
- Local Aircraft Owners/Pilots Group- Contact
- AMATEUR RADIO EQUIPMENT (May apply to CB & FRS, MURS,etc)
- 12VDC POWER CONNECTORS
- Old TCARC Standard-Original Cinch-Jones- 2 conductor (BIG is Positive, small is Negative)
- MOLEX- Radio Shack 15AMP- ARES/RACES
- Radio Shack-Automotive polarized 12v (5AMP Plus)
- Other Standard Power connectors/adaptors
- POWER POLE PLUG/JACKS- 30AMP - NOW IN USE IN TRINITY
- MAKE ADAPTORS to ADAPT ONE TO THE OTHER!
- Have fused wires with voltage input for auxilary connection to 12v power.
- A KIT with butt connectors, wire, fuse assy, several male, female connectors of above types and
- Cigarette Lighter Interface to Standard Connector Adaptors- Fused and unfused
- POLARIZED ONLY- (Color Coded Wiring Encouraged, DIODE protection - RED positive)
- DIAGRAMS [Available on Website]- Cables, Connectors, Distribution (CE with information in ECU.
- POWER DISTRIBUTION - Standards & Suggestions- HD set-up on plywood base for IC, or BASE Setup- Spare fuses, plastic battery box, auto type fuses,etc. appropriate sized wire..PROTECT from physical damage and electrical short and weather.
- SPEAKER, HEADSET, HEADPHONES, AUDIO, PTT, Footswitch
- Speaker Standard- Miniature Phone Plug (make extension speakers w/ one or two headphone outputs,etc)
- Headset - Headphone Standards- Individual
- HF standard quarter inch PHONE PLUG (w/adaptors)
- VHF-UHF one eighth inch- MINI PLUG (stereo-mono adaptor)
- Headset to HT and FIXED-MOBILE are very different MFR to MFR
- PTT, Footswitch- standard 1/4" audio plug
- Consider building adaptor to add FOOTSWITCH to your base or mobile station
(male, female plugs, paralell connection to PTT, to STD 1/4" PHONE PLUG (FEMALE) for addition of FootSwitch!
- 12 VDC BATTERY SOURCES
- Group 24 or 27 RV/Deep Cycle Battery (care, check water)
- Gell Cells w/ proper charger (AC or DC, even Solar)
- Portable Power Sources designed to run 110AC inverters
- SEALED LEAD GELL batteries
- NICAD-NICKLEHYDRIDE- ETC.
- BASIC POWER DISTRIBUTION BLOCK
- FUSED primary wire- 3AG or "new" AUTO dual spade type.
- Spare Fuses Available- Boxed/stored
- DIODE POWER BLOCK OK-(low volage drop diodes, charges 2 batteries from one source)
- Standard power ouput connectors from Battery Box(2 minimum)
- ADAPTERS- Molex, Cinch Jones, or Cigarette Lighter outputs
- POLARIZED POWER EXTENSIONS- Longer=Heavier Gauge
- 110 VAC to 12VDC power supply for extended AC/DC Fixed Station
- 110AC trickle charger (NO or LOW hum if used during radio operations)
- SMALL 5 to 10 watt SOLAR PANELS- to keep 7ahr Gell Cell up
- LARGER (Standard) 60W SOLAR PANEL- for RV/MARINE Battery (protective storage/plywood)
- 12 volt DC to 110AC inverters for Portable Computer, small appliance
- REMEMBER- Appropriate connector for CURRENT that will be used.
- EXTENSION SPEAKERS/HEADPHONE ADAPTERS/MISC
- Standard Plugs/Jacks
- Headphone Adaptors/Headsets [environment]
- Extension Cables w/faders & Headset Jack
- Interface FOOT SWITCH connector
- Press or Public Info monitoring w/fader control/ headphone jack.
- COAXIAL CABLES & CONNECTORS
- RG-8x, RG-58/u, RG-8/9913, etc
- BNC and PL-259 (SMA for HT- Cable adapter assembly)
- Barells and adapters- BNC and SO-238 F/F, and Adapt to other
- Plugs-RF Connector- PL-259, BNC, N, SMC,etc
- Reminder 72 ohm Cable TV coax with connectors and adaptors is often useful
- Tiger Tail.....make 21" flexible insulated wire with aligator clip to fit ground base of HT antenna(usually BNC). provides ground, extends performance.
PORTABLE PACKET STATIONS- Including APRS Mobiles/Portables
- TCARC PACKET STATIONS- KI6GR- John Budman
- TNC 2 Compatible, TNC is favorable to software type in a "key location"
- PERSONAL PACKET STATIONS- Individual PC Based VS Terminal
- Universal Radio Interface- Serial, Paralell Adaptors,etc.for various new types of
computers andoperating systems
- Voting Machine Type stand-up Packet Stations, or attache case typel
- Computer Compatibility- Newer Computers may require SERIAL adaptor with special
plug.. Software on CD, no floppy may be available.. New Operating Systems..
FIXED/PORTABLE PACKET STATIONS
- LOCATIONS- VFD, SHELTERS, HOSPTIAL, OES, COMMAND CENTER, ECU
- INSTITUTIONAL PACKET STATIONS- AC/DC Power, PRINTER (AC-DC?)
- INTERFACE OF COMPUTER(radio) to COUNTY LAN, or INTERNET
- Binder with procedures, forms, SOFTWARE , instructions,etc.
- DIGITAL STANDARDS- 1200 AX25
- Future APRS use with STD MAPPING- for common reference/planning
- FIND STANDARD MAPS- Trinity County and mutal aid areas
- NEW TRINITY COUNTY MAPS IN USE BY PUBLIC SAFETY
- PC Based Terminal, PRINTER with PAPER, spare ink cartridge, spare paper, etc.
- Mobile and Portable Amateur- (VHF/UHF and HF)
- Mobile and Portable Specialty- CB, FRS, SCANNER, TV, FM, AM
- Pre-Positioned installed or stored at Shelters, etc.
- Surveyor's tape to mark cables- SAFETY FIRST
- Duct Tape to protect wires and people.-SAFETY FIRST
- Mechanical Safety Standards- uniform mounting,etc.
- RFI and FCC RF Field Considerations
- Safe transportation and erection of Antennas and Equipment (Boxes, Tubes)
- Support Systems for all locations (Permanent, Portable).
- RF Cables- Coax RG-8/x, etc.- ADAPTOR KITS AVAILIABLE
- REMINDER- NVIS HF Antennas are Critical- Encourage SPARE sytems
- Military Surplus- Antenna supports and antennas
- FIBREGLASS- FISHING POLES and HF WIRE TOOLS to support light wire w/tuner for QRP-100w radios,etc.
- VHF 2m HALF-WAVE gain antennas for HT USE.. 21" Tiger Tail counterpoise.
- 110VAC POWER SOURCE & DISTRIBUTION
- 25 & 50 foot #16 or larger extension cords- 3wire ground
- AC PLUG-IN STRIPS- w/Protection, AC circuit breaker
- USE GFI when possible (remember the AC breaker built in)
- Duct Tape, Cable Ties and Surveyor Tape for Safety.
- LINE FILTER (optional)- Cleans Garbage from Generator,etc.
- PROTECTION DEVICES FOR COMPUTERS AND DC PS
- GENERATORS- 4 cycle, 2 Cycle, Direct Drive
- INVERTERS- 12v to 110VAC- Small for Computers
- AUXILARY BATTERY SYSTEMS- Inverter.Chargers.- Gravity Tester
- Distilled Water Source (boil water if necessary)..
- ALTERNATORS- DC Automotive DC High Current Charging
- LOW VOLTAGE DC- adaptors to charge HT, and ACC items
- MARK OWNERSHIP OF CORDS- and adaptors
- Pre-Plan Generator Supplied AC plugs at locations with Generators.
- Testers- Neon taped to extension cord for testing "LIVE" extensions.
- 12VDC to 110AC inverters for Computers or other equipment?
- GFI adaptor Box for SAFETY safety.
- Ground Testers
- GEL CELLS becoming more usefull
- Appropriate Auto Batteries if necessary in emergency- use car to charge.
- PORTABLE SOLAR considerations
- DOCUMENTATION & PROCEDURAL CONSIDERATIONS
- MANUAL/COPY Available on-site
- Periodic CD publishing with VER ID- List and replace
- Listing of Tactical Channels [scanner monitor]
- Boxed Equipment Inventory List
- Amateur Radio Operator's Personal Equipment Pack
- OFFICIAL & PERSONAL ID of Emergency Workers- Photo Card/Listing/Travel
- ARES/RACES/TCARC/TCSO?OES/MARS compatible manual of procedures
- Traffic Format- Voice to Digital,etc
- Forms- How to fill out
- RADIO Codes [Standard/Alternate/Special]
- TCARC Website- PRINT THE DATA BEFORE THERE IS NO
- CD of useful information- Work on LIST OF FILES
- INFORMATON ON 3.5" DISKS readable on PC in .TXT
- OES- Local and State-
- INCIDENT COMMAND FORMS
- CD use and archive
- AMATEUR RADIO EQUIPMENT- Inventory and Secuirty- LIST SERIAL NUMBERS OF Portable Equipment
- General Registry of Equipment (Develop System)
- Consider ARES inventory Labels
- Possible Theft Reduction and Recovery
- Common terminology and marking procedure on equpment
- Common terminology on transit boxes
- MARK EQUIPMENT CLEARLY
- SIGNS and BANNERS
- EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS AMATEUR (HAM) RADIO
- VEHICLE MAGNETIC OR TAPED ON PAPER/PLASTIC SIGNS
- DO NOT CONFUSE PUBLIC OR OTHER EMERGENCY WORKERS.
- CONSIDER PROVIDING SIGNS FOR OTHERS...
- ID BADGE, HAT, SHIRT, VEST, etc.
- Establish Standards,etc.
- Name [big letters, easy to read]
- Affiliation [Group,Club,Agency]
- Remind volunteers that a radio does not make you all
that special..everyone helping out is valuable and need to be appreciated
- Standard Colors, Type Garb, Wording,etc.
- SAFETY KITS/TRAINING- Gas, Bio-Hazzards, Medical problems- Auxilary Safety Equipment
- Security for Operators and Radio System- Establish and discuss separately, with need-to-know,etc.
- IMPORTANCE OF "DEPLOYMENT KIT"
- SELF-SUFFIENT & "READY TO GO" [With LIST of ITEMS to ADD on DEPLOYMENT]-Reminder if you are not well, and in reasonably good shape DO NOT volunteer for jobs that you will certainly not be able to do
- FOOD- [no cooking required]
- Water- Juice,etc.
- Medical Supplies
- Special Clothing,etc.
- USE A STANDARD"TC DEPLOYMENT LIST"- AS MINIMUM
- SEE LISTS and RELATED WEBSITES FOR IDEAS & INFO
- LINKS to TCARES "GO KITS" etc. ON TCARES webpage.
- REMINDER- You may as well pack food and drink that you like..and that is
usefull. Pack an extra "energy bar" or something for the person that has none..
- TRAINING FOR MESSAGE HANDLING!- Phonetic Alphabet, STD
- Adopt Standard- ARRL, etc.have conversion data to others
- TC ARES MANUAL- Reference Material & Basic Procedures
- Field Day- Practice & PR
- Ham Radio Contests- similar, accurate, fast record keeping.
- TC Fair Participation- (If no fee is charged,etc)
- Public Demonstration- Shopping Center/Church/Public Event
- Periodic Training- During TCARC 2 meter Net or After Net,etc.
- NTS SYSTEM
- EMCOMM standards and Information
- Digital Forms conversion
- Online Training- etc.
- Local Radio Club Meetings and Events- Practice a message.
TCARC Emergency Communications Plan
- Goal: Independent County-Wide ARES/TCARC Plan- Total/Partial Failure
- North Lake Area
- Weaverville-Douglas City-Lewiston
- Down River
- Hayork- Southern Trinity
- Simplex Frequency Map- Zoned for 2m/70cm Voice/Data
- Repeater Coverage Map- HT, Vehicle 35W, Portable 35W w/3 element Beam, etc.
- HF Simplex "Monitored Frequency"... Calling Frequency
- HF "TrinityNet" & NTS,etc. 160/80/40/10, etc
- Standard and Optinal MAPs with REFERENCES..
- Comprehensive Communications Plan- Long Range Planning
- County Radio System Documented
- Community Radio Plans- Integrated
- Business Band Systems Documented
- Government Radio Plans/Systems
- Coordinated Plan- With TC OES (when they are ready)
- Coordinated Plan- ARES/OES(State) AREA Plans
- Coordinated Plan- RED CROSS- Local & Trinity/Shasta/Lassen
- Coordinated Plan- Satern (Salvation Army)
- Coordinated Plan- VIP- Volunteers in Prevention- CA Department of Forestry
- Coordinated Plan- Humboldt/Siskiyou/Mendocino/Shasta,MUTUAL AID etc.
- Coordinated Plan for Working Relationship with SCARES (Shasta County ARES)
- Coodinated Plan- MARS(Military Affiliate Radio System), SATURN(Salvation Army), Etc.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION & CONTINIOUS REVISION
NOTE- The purpose of this document is to help record ideas, considerations, documents, LINKS, notes,etc for various individuals, groups and government to use
in relation to planning and utilization of EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS.
This page is authored and maintained by WB6FZH, Greg Greenwood.
RETURN to TOP
Last Updated: March 29, 2006
RETURN to TCARC HOMEPAGE
Trinity County ARES Website